Below are the dates for the 2018 summer day camp and some of the featured activity possibilities (we are still ironing out plans for even more fun this summer). Specific dates of each main activity will be updated throughout the remainder of the school year. Check back often!
We are extremely excited to offer our 12th Mohr's Explorers EDventure Camp! This summer day camp, which will run June 18-July 13, is an exceptional opportunity for your child -- we will set out on a different "EDventure" each day, exploring many of the city's other boroughs along the way, including some unique locations off the beaten path. Central Park is the backdrop for some of the afternoons, where we try to explore areas of the park we cannot normally reach during after-school time.
As things start to take shape throughout the spring, a few more of our bigger activities will be added, some with dates, where applicable. But please remember...this is EDventure Camp! If every single day is specifically planned out, it ceases to be an EDventure. (The tentative days of each activity will be announced by e-mail to all participants later.)
- THE PROSPECT PARK ZOO: Along the Discovery Trail, one of many awesome exhibits, "...planted pathways wind through lush gardens, marshes and scrubland, where red pandas, otters, prairie dogs and kangaroos live. Young trailblazers can experience firsthand various types of animal habitats, locomotion and senses." -- from the Prospect Park Zoo website. Did you know that the Red Panda is featured within the logo for Mozilla's web browser. The Red Panda's nickname? A "Fire Fox." If it rains, we can go to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden and/or the Brooklyn Museum of Art.
- BEACH DAY: Which beach will it be this year? Somewhere we have been before? Somewhere new? Regardless of the location, this is always a highlight of our camp and there are plenty of alternative activities for those who don't want to go in the water. We usually do this during Week 1 and then again in Week 4 for those who missed out.
- FORAGING WITH THE "WILDMAN": We will learn about edible and medicinal wild vegetables, herbs, greens, fruits, berries, nuts, seeds and mushrooms with NYC's favorite naturalist, "Wildman" Steve Brill. We are still deciding which park to explore, but for more information about the "Wildman," click here.
- STADIUM/ARENA TOUR: We have had a lot of fun over the years getting an insiders' look at one of the city's great ballparks. The last few years, we have been promised certain tours only to have them taken away, so until it is officially settled later this spring, we will keep it a surprise! Regardless, this amazing tour may include visits to the field or court, dugout, press box, locker room (when available) and other highlights of these sports cathedrals. We also typically spend part of the day at a nearby park, sometimes doing themed activities related to the tour.
- CLASSIC EXPLORERS DAY: We will take Central Park by storm, hitting all of our favorite locations and squeeze in as many of our all-time favorite games and activities as possible. We generally get in one of these each week of camp, with different "classics" each time.
- HIKING DAY: Last year's hikers would like you to know that they may have pushed the record out of reach, after hiking a ridiculously awesome 10.79 miles in 2017!!! That will prove tough to break (though we still did an impressive 9.1 miles the year before), but we are scouting out some ideas for this summer to give it a shot. If tradition serves, there will likely be ice cream at the end of it all! The big hike is traditionally on the Friday of the 2nd week of camp.
- FISHING DAY: This has long been a camp tradition the last week of camp, though we have been doing one of these Week 1 as well. This year, we may trek to a new fishing spot somewhere throughout the city, though we caught quite a few fish in Central park last year. Stay tuned -- if there are fish to catch, we'll find them!
- WILDCARD DAY: Each week of the camp features one of these fun days where no one, except Mike, knows what we are doing for the day. Explorers' staff members don't know, parents don't know and our Explorers don't know! We have had some incredible EDventures in the past and we will continue bringing the fun on these surprise days of camp.
- WATER DAY: We typically try to find a cool place on one of the hotter days with a lot of sprinklers and spend part of that day splashing around and having fun. But rest assured, even if we don't schedule in a specific day for it, most days when we happen upon some sprinklers, we tend to take full advantage!
- GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL TOUR: We may save this for a rainy day and if so, we will be taking an insider's tour of this incredible NYC landmark, which turned 100 in 2013. The tour focuses not only on the history and architectural highlights of the Terminal, but provides little-known secrets and anecdotes as well. Our Explorers will never see Grand Central with the same eyes again!
- CRAZY RAIN DAY IDEA, 2018: We always want to be outside and root for no bad weather, but if we get a total washout one day this summer, watch out! Mike has something stirring in his brain that kids will be talking about for years.
OTHER DETAILS AND INFORMATION:
- The dates are June 18-22, June 25-29, July 2-6 and July 9-13 (we will not be in session on Wednesday, July 4). You do not have to enroll for all four weeks; we realize summer begins at different times for all of our Explorers. Need more time outdoors beyond July 13? Click here for more details about our Summer Mini-Camp, which will run from July 16-August 10.
- The day camp will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day.
- Pick-up & drop off will be at the SE corner of Columbus Circle and Central Park West. Right across the street from the big globe.
- The day camp is for boys and girls, ages 5-12.
- All participants bring a packed lunch and water (unless otherwise notified on special days).
- Most of the necessary travel is via subway. Not only is it better for the environment, it is also safer and faster, allowing us more time for what we are here for -- the fun!
- The cost for one full week of camp is $625. The price is $1,150 for anyone who signs up for two full weeks and for anyone enrolling for more than that, it will be $1,650 for three weeks and $2,100 for all four. If we are not full, daily drop-ins are available as well ($150/day). Please note that because July 4 falls on a Wednesday, that Week 3 of this camp will be just 4 days and the cost is $500. If this week is included with any other weeks of the camp, then the discounted rates will be $1,050 (for Week 3, plus one additional week) or $1,550 (for Week 3, plus two additional weeks). We do not accept credit cards; please make checks payable to Mohr's Explorers, LLC.
- This is a small camp with limited enrollment and we are unable to provide any financial aid or sibling discounts.
- All full-week participants will receive one Mohr's Explorers item (in the past, it has been a hat, lunch tote, etc.) Multiple-week participants always get at least one bonus item!
- Registration is currently open and will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis. To pre-register, just e-mail Mike to save your spot. After that, please mail payment and a completed enrollment form (please click link below) to secure your child's enrollment. Registration is not official until the form and full payment are received. You may also e-mail a .pdf of the form, as long as the text is clear, and submit payment electronically. For more details, just ask when pre-registering. If you have already submitted a Mohr's Explorers enrollment form this school year for any other program, then you do not need to fill out another one.
If you have any questions, or if you wish to enroll your child, please contact Mike.
Full refunds will be issued for cancellations prior to May 20. Through June 3, 75% will refunded. Fees are non-refundable after June 4, regardless of the reason for withdrawal. There are also no refunds or credits for absences or dismissal.