Below are the dates for the 2019 summer day camp and some of the featured activity possibilities (we are still ironing out plans for even more fun this summer). Specific dates of each main activity will be updated throughout the remainder of the school year. Check back often!
We are extremely excited to offer our 13th Mohr's Explorers EDventure Camp! This summer day camp, which will run June 17-July 12, is an exceptional opportunity for your child -- we will set out on a different "EDventure" each day, exploring many of the city's other boroughs along the way, including some unique locations off the beaten path. Central Park is the backdrop for some of the afternoons, where we try to explore areas of the park we cannot normally reach during after-school time.
As things start to take shape throughout the spring, a few more bigger activities may be added, some with dates, where applicable. But please remember...this is EDventure Camp! If every single day is specifically planned out, it ceases to be an EDventure. (The tentative days of each activity will be announced by e-mail to all participants later.)
- THE QUEENS ZOO: Exhibit updates have given the Queens Zoo the feel of a national park. In the past, the zoo has welcomed coyote pups (above) that had been rescued and rehabilitated, as well as many new baby animals over the years. We will explore other areas of Flushing Meadows Corona Park with any extra time, which may include checking out the Unisphere from the 1964-65 World's Fair, among other things. If it rains, we will go to The New York Hall of Science.
- BEACH DAY, CONEY ISLAND, BROOKLYN: We will take advantage of this underrated beach, where we will build sand sculptures, play beach games, go swimming (for those who want to) and have lunch at the original Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs. Also, time and weather permitting, we may hop on a ride or two and/or play a few carnival games. One possibility, the historic Wonder Wheel, is "150-feet high, weighing 200,000 pounds and holding 144 people at once -- built in 1920...No visit to Coney is complete without a turn on the WHEEL." -- from the Wonder Wheel website. If it rains, we can go to the New York Aquarium instead.
- FORAGING WITH THE "WILDMAN": We will learn about edible and medicinal wild vegetables, herbs, greens, fruits, berries, nuts, seeds and mushrooms with NYC's favorite naturalist, "Wildman" Steve Brill. We are still deciding which park to explore, but for more information about the "Wildman," click here.
- STADIUM/ARENA TOUR: We have had a lot of fun over the years getting an insiders' look at one of the city's great ballparks. The last few years, we have been promised certain tours only to have them taken away, so until it is officially settled later this spring, we will keep it a surprise! Regardless, this amazing tour may include visits to the field or court, dugout, press box, locker room (when available) and other highlights of these sports cathedrals. We also typically spend part of the day at a nearby park, sometimes doing themed activities related to the tour.
- CLASSIC EXPLORERS DAY: We will take Central Park by storm, hitting all of our favorite locations and squeeze in as many of our all-time favorite games and activities as possible. We generally get in one of these each week of camp, with different "classics" each time.
- HIKING DAY: We took a longer trip out to Pelham Bay Park last year and ended up hiking "only" 7.03 miles, a bit off the record of 10.79 miles in 2017. That one might be unbreakable, but we are scouting out some ideas for this summer to give it a shot. If tradition serves, there will likely be ice cream at the end of it all! The big hike is traditionally on the Friday of the 2nd week of camp.
- FISHING DAY: This has long been a camp tradition the last week of camp, though lately, we have been doing one of these in Week 1 as well. This year, we may trek to a new fishing spot somewhere throughout the city, though we caught quite a few fish in Central park last year. Stay tuned -- if there are fish to catch, we'll find them!
- WILDCARD DAY: Each week of the camp features one of these fun days where no one, except Mike, knows what we are doing for the day. Explorers' staff members don't know, parents don't know and our Explorers don't know! We have had some incredible EDventures in the past and we will continue bringing the fun on these surprise days of camp.
- WATER DAY: We typically try to find a cool place on one of the hotter days with a lot of sprinklers and spend part of that day splashing around and having fun. But rest assured, even if we don't schedule in a specific day for it, most days when we happen upon some sprinklers, we tend to take full advantage!
- GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL TOUR: We may save this for a rainy day and if so, we will be taking an insider's tour of this incredible NYC landmark, which turned 100 in 2013. The tour focuses not only on the history and architectural highlights of the Terminal, but provides little-known secrets and anecdotes as well. Our Explorers will never see Grand Central with the same eyes again!
OTHER DETAILS AND INFORMATION:
- The dates are June 17-21, June 24-28, July 1-5 and July 8-12 (we will not be in session on Thursday, July 4). You do not have to enroll for all four weeks; we realize summer begins at different times for all of our Explorers. Need more time outdoors beyond July 12? We may run our Summer Mini-Camp as well, which will run for another four weeks, from July 15-August 9.
- The day camp will run from 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day.
- Pick-up & drop off will be at the SE corner of Columbus Circle and Central Park West. Right across the street from the big globe.
- The day camp is for boys and girls, ages 5-12.
- All participants bring a packed lunch and water (unless otherwise notified on special days).
- Most of the necessary travel is via subway. Not only is it better for the environment, it is also safer and faster, allowing us more time for what we are here for - the fun!
- The cost for one full week of camp is $625. The price is $1,150 for anyone who signs up for two full weeks and for anyone enrolling for more than that, it will be $1,650 for three weeks and $2,100 for all four. If we are not full, daily drop-ins are available as well ($150/day). Please note that because July 4 falls on a Wednesday, that Week 3 of this camp will be just 4 days and the cost is $500. If this week is included with any other weeks of the camp, then the discounted rates will be $1,050 (for Week 3, plus one additional week) or $1,550 (for Week 3, plus two additional weeks). We do not accept credit cards; please make checks payable to Mohr's Explorers, LLC.
- This is a small camp with limited enrollment and we are unable to provide any financial aid or sibling discounts.
- All full-week participants will receive one Mohr's Explorers item (in the past, it has been a t-shirt, lunch tote, etc.) Multiple-week participants always get at least one bonus item!
- Registration is currently open and will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis. To pre-register, just e-mail Mike to save your spot. After that, please mail payment and a completed enrollment form (please click link below) to secure your child's enrollment. Registration is not official until the form and full payment are received. You may also e-mail a .pdf of the form, as long as the text is clear, and submit payment electronically. For more details, just ask when pre-registering. If you have already submitted a Mohr's Explorers enrollment form this school year for any other program, then you do not need to fill out another one.
If you have any questions, or if you wish to enroll your child, please contact Mike.
Full refunds will be issued for cancellations prior to May 19. Through June 2, 75% will refunded. Fees are non-refundable after June 2, regardless of the reason for withdrawal. There are also no refunds or credits for absences or dismissal.