Below are the dates for the 2017 summer day camp and some of the featured activity possibilities (we are still ironing out plans for even more fun this summer). Specific dates of each main activity will be updated throughout the remainder of the school year. Check back often!
We are extremely excited to offer our 11th Mohr's Explorers EDventure Camp! This summer day camp, which will run June 12-July 7, is an exceptional opportunity for your child -- we will set out on a different "EDventure" each day, exploring many of the city's other boroughs along the way, including some unique locations off the beaten path. Central Park is the backdrop for some of the afternoons, where we try to explore areas of the park we cannot normally reach during after-school time.
As things start to take shape throughout the spring, a few more of our bigger activities will be added, some with dates, where applicable. But please remember...this is EDventure Camp! If every single day is specifically planned out, it ceases to be an EDventure. (The tentative days of each activity will be announced by e-mail to all participants later.)
- THE QUEENS ZOO: Exhibit updates have given the Queens Zoo the feel of a national park...the zoo's animal residents include the Andean Bear, also known as the "Spectacled Bear" (above), because the markings around its eyes look a bit like glasses. We will explore other areas of Flushing Meadows Corona Park with any extra time, which may include checking out the Unisphere from the 1964-65 World's Fair, among other things. If it rains, we will go to The New York Hall of Science.
- BEACH DAY, CONEY ISLAND, BROOKLYN: We will take advantage of this underrated beach, where we will build sand sculptures, play beach games, go swimming (for those who want to) and have lunch at the original Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs. Also, time and weather permitting, we may hop on a ride or two and/or play a few carnival games. One possibility, the historic Wonder Wheel, is "150-feet high, weighing 200,000 pounds and holding 144 people at once -- built in 1920...No visit to Coney is complete without a turn on the WHEEL." -- from the Wonder Wheel website. If it rains, we can go to the Aquarium for Wildlife Conservation instead.
- FISHING DAY: We traditionally have a fishing day on the last day of camp out in one of the boroughs, but we are going to do one in Central Park this week as well!
- CLASSIC EXPLORERS DAY: We will take Central Park by storm, hitting all of our favorite locations and squeeze in as many of our all-time favorite games and activities as possible.
- CLASSIC EXPLORERS DAY, PART II: We'll be back in Central Park as we bring out even more all-time favorite games and activities. Oh yes, there are many more that we did not get to!
- HIKING DAY: We set our camp record in 2015, with an incredible standard of 10.26 miles!!! That will prove tough to break (though we still did an impressive 9.1 miles last year), but we are scouting out some ideas for this summer to give it a shot. If tradition serves, there will likely be ice cream at the end of it all! This activity is scheduled for Friday, June 23.
- There's more coming! It looks to be a small group this week, so we are adjusting plans accordingly, which basically means we might squeeze in a special trip somewhere that is usually much harder to pull off with a larger group. Stay tuned...
FORAGING WITH THE "WILDMAN": We will learn about edible and medicinal wild vegetables, herbs, greens, fruits, berries, nuts, seeds and mushrooms with NYC's favorite naturalist, "Wildman" Steve Brill. For the first time, Mr. Brill will take us towards the northern tip of Manhattan to Fort Tryon Park, which will be an amazing area for us to hike, learn...and eat! For more information about the "Wildman," click here.
This activity is scheduled for Monday, June 26.
THE RAPTOR TRUST: For the first time in camp history, we are going to New Jersey! The Raptor Trust is one of the premier wild bird rehabilitation centers in the United States, including a hospital with state-of-the-art medical facilities, quality exterior housing for several hundred birds and an education building. We will be focusing on owls at the beginning, where we will get to meet at least one up close! Resident birds are housed in more open aviaries and there are approximately 60 hawks, falcons, eagles and owls of twenty different species that have found permanent homes there. We will be afforded a unique opportunity to view many of these permanent residents at close range. For more information, click here.
This activity is scheduled for Friday, June 30.
- CLASSIC EXPLORERS DAY, THE LOST CLASSICS: We will again take Central Park by storm, hitting all of our favorite locations, but this time, we'll be doing many of our "lost classics" -- games and activities that everyone has loved over the years, but for whatever reason, have not made it into our after-school line-up for at least a year.
*** There will be no camp on Tuesday, July 4 ***
- BEACH DAY, CONEY ISLAND, BROOKLYN: We normally do not have too many kids in Week 4 who were with us in Week 1 and those who are still with us usually don't mind a second trip. So we're going back! See above for details; click here and scroll to the bottom of the page for a fun fact about Coney Island from our daily Fact of the Week archive (9/10/12).
- CLASSIC EXPLORERS DAY, PART III: Yes, it's our last Central Park day as we bring out as many of our remaining all-time favorite games and activities as we can squeeze in. The question is, did we save the best for last?
- FISHING DAY: This has long been a camp tradition the last day of camp and this year, we may even trek to a new fishing spot somewhere throughout the city, so stay tuned! This activity is scheduled for Friday, July 7.
- WATER DAY: We typically try to find a cool place on one of the hotter days with a lot of sprinklers and spend part of that day splashing around and having fun. But rest assured, even if we don't schedule in a specific day for it, most days when we happen upon some sprinklers, we tend to take full advantage!
- GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL TOUR: We may save this for a rainy day and if so, we will be taking an insider's tour of this incredible NYC landmark, which turned 100 in 2013. The tour focuses not only on the history and architectural highlights of the Terminal, but provides little-known secrets and anecdotes as well. Our Explorers will never see Grand Central with the same eyes again!
OTHER DETAILS AND INFORMATION:
- The dates are June 12-16, June 19-23, June 26-30 and July 3-7 (we will not be in session on Tuesday, July 4). You do not have to enroll for all four weeks; we realize summer begins at different times for all of our Explorers. Need more time outdoors beyond July 7? Click here for more details about our Summer Mini-Camp, which will run from July 17-August 11.
- The day camp will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day.
- Pick-up & drop off will be at a new location this year, at the SE corner of Columbus Circle and Central Park West. Right across the street from the big globe.
- The day camp is for boys and girls, ages 5-12.
- All participants bring a packed lunch and beverage (unless otherwise notified on special days).
- Most of the necessary travel is via subway. Not only is it better for the environment, it is also safer and faster, allowing us more time for what we are here for -- the fun!
- The cost for one full week of camp is $625. The price is $1,150 for anyone who signs up for two full weeks and for anyone enrolling for more than that, it will be $1,650 for three weeks and $2,100 for all four. If we are not full, daily drop-ins are available as well ($150/day). Please note that because July 4 falls on a Tuesday, that Week 4 of this camp will be just 4 days and the cost is $500. If this week is included with any other weeks of the camp, then the discounted rates will be $1,050 (for Week 4, plus one additional week) or $1,550 (for Week 4, plus two additional weeks). We do not accept credit cards; please make checks payable to Mohr's Explorers, LLC.
- This is a small camp with limited enrollment and we are unable to provide any financial aid or sibling discounts.
- All full-week participants will receive one Mohr's Explorers item (in the past, it has been a hat, lunch tote, etc.) Multiple-week participants always get at least one bonus item!
- Registration is currently open and will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis. To pre-register, just e-mail Mike to save your spot. After that, please mail payment and a completed enrollment form (please click link below) to secure your child's enrollment. Registration is not official until the form and full payment are received. You may also e-mail a .pdf of the form, as long as the text is clear, and submit payment electronically. For more details, just ask when pre-registering. If you have already submitted a Mohr's Explorers enrollment form this school year for any other program, then you do not need to fill out another one.
If you have any questions, or if you wish to enroll your child, please contact Mike.
Full refunds will be issued for cancellations prior to May 15. Through May 31, 75% will refunded. Fees are non-refundable after June 1, regardless of the reason for withdrawal. There are also no refunds or credits for absences or dismissal.