Registration for this spring is now open and being handled on a
first-come, first-served basis for each of the groups listed below.
Our weekly Central Park EDventures will include shelter building, bird tracking and woodlands hide-and-seek -- plus an original variety of awesome outdoor games & activities! This exhilarating outdoor program builds confidence, while encouraging teamwork, creativity and open-ended education.
The possibilities? Endless. The experiences? Memorable.
The FUN? Guaranteed!!!
We will be outdoors; please be prepared for all types of weather.
Registration for most of our after-school groups goes directly through your school, but for kids from P.S. 9, P.S. 166, Manhattan School for Children, Churchill, Success Academy Upper West and our South Orange/Maplewood Open Groups in the South Mountain Reservation, sign-ups go directly through us.
SPRING START DATES:
P.S. 9 & P.S. 166 (Wednesday, 3/20)
MSC (Thursday, 4/4 & Friday, 4/5)
SAUW (Friday, 4/19)
Churchill (Tuesday, 4/30)
SOMa Open Groups (Tuesday, 4/2 & Wednesday, 4/3)
Registration requirements vary by group. Please click the applicable link below for your group's registration flyer:
NOTE: We have left some room in our schedule for those interested in getting a group together in NYC and SOMa. Those who organize an Open Group may be able to have some say in the day (if available), location and start time. We can do a Prospect Park Open Group for our Brooklyn Explorers and we have started some Pre-K groups (ages 3 and 4) as well. Each of these groups are first-come, first-served until the schedule is full.
To enroll your child or for additional information, please contact Mike.
We provide continuously updated and original activities throughout each session and season. On any given day, we will be able to hike 1-2 miles, within the areas of Central Park nearest to your child's school or Open Group meeting spot. This affords ample opportunities to...
- discover interesting rocks, bridges, water bodies, wooded areas, fields and even waterfalls!
- learn about areas of the park they never knew existed.
- uncover park secrets - often things that many New Yorkers do not even know.
- spot statues like Still Hunt and structures such as the Bow Bridge.
- study a few edible plants.
- memorize various types of birds and trees.
Explorers are expected to arrive with a positive attitude, a desire to have fun and be ready to adjust to new settings and situations. Full participation is encouraged and we will provide a safe emotional and physical climate so that it feels OK to try new things. However, we will never ask anyone to do anything that he or she is uncomfortable doing. In addition;
- Children are continuously supervised.
- The staff-to-child ratio is 1-to-7.
- We teach Leave No Trace, which promotes responsible outdoor recreation. We are conscientious to at least leave the park the way we find it, minimize our impact, respect all wildlife and be considerate of other visitors in the park.
- All group leaders are trained in First Aid & CPR and carry a First Aid Kit at all times.
- Pick-up and drop-off points are at the Explorers' respective schools for most groups, unless prior arrangements are made. For some groups, it will be at a pre-designated corner near the park.
And yes, we definitely go out in the winter! For 20 winters, we have been taking groups of kids this age into the park -- as long as everyone properly prepares for the weather and bundles up on cold days, they will be fine. We enthusiastically take what Mother Nature bestows and plan snow activities whenever possible. If you are not sure what to wear during the after-school program or if you want a refresher on our rules, just click the links below!
As with anything, please contact Mike with any questions, comments or concerns.
Enrollment fees are fully refundable until the first session. 75% will be refunded until the second session and 50% will be refunded until the third. Fees are non-refundable after the third session, regardless of the reason for withdrawal. In order to ensure quality staff each week, the cost is the same, regardless of how many sessions your child ends up attending. There are no daily drop-ins, no refunds or credits will be issued for absences or dismissal and we cannot offer any make-up sessions. We also will not cancel sessions because of weather. Except in extreme cases, there is always a back-up plan, even if school is cancelled. Just e-mail Mike to find out what we are doing! (For the record, this is against policy at some of our schools, so we are bound to that in those instances).