*** Registration for this spring is now open and being handled on a
first-come, first-served basis for each of these groups. ***
Our weekly Central Park EDventures will include shelter building, bird tracking and woodlands hide-and-seek -- plus an original variety of awesome outdoor games & activities! This challenging outdoor program builds confidence, while encouraging teamwork, creativity and open-ended education.
The possibilities? Endless. The experiences? Memorable. The FUN? Guaranteed!!!
We will be outdoors; please be prepared for all types of weather.
Registration for most of our after-school groups goes directly through your school. However, if you do not attend any of the schools we currently work with, or if the day Explorers is offered at your school does not work within your schedule, you are welcome to join our Monday Open Group or Tuesday Open Group, which are available options for everyone.
Both groups are for girls and boys, ages 5-10. The Monday Open Group meets at the SW corner of 79th Street & 5th Avenue and runs from 3:45-5:15 p.m. The Tuesday Open Group meets at Columbus Circle and runs from 3:30-5:15 p.m.
(East/West options may be possible for each group, if enrollment warrants a second instructor).
For kids from Manhattan School for Children and Success Academy Upper West, sign-ups go directly through us as well.
SPRING START DATES:
Monday Open Group (April 3), Tuesday Open Group (April 4),
MSC, K-4, Thursdays (April 6), MSC, K-4, Fridays (April 7),
SAUW (Wednesday, April 12).
Please click the applicable link below for your group's registration information:
To enroll your child or for additional information, please contact Mike.
We provide continuously updated and original activities throughout each session and season. On any given day, we will be able to hike 1-2 miles, within the areas of Central Park nearest to your child's school or Open Group meeting spot. This affords ample opportunities to...
- discover interesting rocks, bridges, water bodies, wooded areas, fields and even waterfalls!
- learn about areas of the park they never knew existed.
- uncover park secrets - often things that many New Yorkers do not even know.
- spot statues like Still Hunt and structures such as the Bow Bridge.
- study a few edible plants.
- memorize various types of birds and trees.
Explorers are expected to arrive with a positive attitude, a desire to have fun and be ready to adjust to new settings and situations. Full participation is encouraged and we will provide a safe emotional and physical climate so that it feels OK to try new things. However, we will never ask anyone to do anything that he or she is uncomfortable doing. In addition;
- Children are continuously supervised.
- The staff-to-child ratio is 1-to-7.
- We teach Leave No Trace, which promotes responsible outdoor recreation. We are conscientious to at least leave the park the way we find it, minimize our impact, respect all wildlife and be considerate of other visitors in the park.
- All group leaders are trained in First Aid & CPR and carry a First Aid Kit at all times.
- Pick-up and drop off points are at the Explorers' respective schools for most groups, unless prior arrangements are made. For some groups, it will be at a pre-designated corner near the park.
And yes, we definitely go out in the winter! For 18 winters, we have been taking groups of kids this age into the park -- as long as everyone properly prepares for the weather and bundles up on cold days, they will be fine. We enthusiastically take what Mother Nature bestows and plan snow activities whenever possible. If you are not sure what to wear during the after-school program or if you want a refresher on our rules, just click the links below!
As with anything, please contact Mike with any questions, comments or concerns.
Enrollment fees are fully refundable until the first session. 75% will be refunded until the second session and 50% will be refunded until the third. Fees are non-refundable after the third session, regardless of the reason for withdrawal. In order to ensure quality staff each week, the cost is the same, regardless of how many sessions your child ends up attending. There are no daily drop-ins, no refunds or credits will be issued for absences or dismissal and we cannot offer any make-up sessions. We also will not cancel sessions because of weather. Except in extreme cases, there is always a back-up plan, even if school is cancelled. Just e-mail Mike to find out what we are doing! (For the record, this is against policy at some of our schools, so we are bound to that in those instances).